Five Bedouin children outside their home in Khan al-Ahmar village in the occupied West Bank

Blatant Ethnic Cleansing: How an ICC Warrant for Smotrich Triggered the Erasure of Khan al-Ahmar

Israel's far-right Finance Minister ordered the demolition of Khan al-Ahmar in retaliation for an ICC arrest warrant — the latest act in the systematic ethnic cleansing of the West Bank.

Share Article

Loading advertisement...
Five Bedouin children outside their home in Khan al-Ahmar village in the occupied West Bank

JERUSALEM / THE HAGUE — When the International Criminal Court's prosecutor reportedly sought a confidential arrest warrant for Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich over settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank, Smotrich's response was not to mount a legal defense. It was to order the immediate destruction of a Palestinian village and threaten war.

"I announce here and now the first target that will be attacked," Smotrich declared at a press conference on May 19. "Immediately after my remarks, we will sign an order for the evacuation of Khan al-Ahmar."

Within minutes, the evacuation order was signed. The target: a Bedouin community of roughly 200 people — families, children, the elderly — sitting on a dusty hillside east of Jerusalem in the E1 corridor, the strategic stretch of land that connects the northern and southern West Bank.

Destroy Khan al-Ahmar, and you sever that connection permanently. That has always been the point.

A Crime Announced on Live Television

Smotrich, who also holds authority over civilian affairs in the occupied West Bank through his Defense Ministry portfolio, told reporters he had been informed the previous evening that ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan had submitted a sealed request for his arrest. He called the court "antisemitic" and vowed retaliation — not through legal channels, but through the forced displacement of Palestinian civilians.

"The Palestinian Authority has started a war, and it will get a war," he said.

The mechanism for that war: Khan al-Ahmar. A village of tents, tin-roofed structures, and a school built from recycled rubber tires that serves 170 children from five surrounding Bedouin communities. A village that has survived years of demolition orders, legal battles, and international pressure. A village that Amnesty International has said would constitute a war crime to destroy.

Israel's High Court approved demolition orders against Khan al-Ahmar in 2018, ruling that the village lacked permits — permits that Israel systematically denies to Palestinians in Area C, which covers over 60% of the West Bank. Previous Israeli governments held off on enforcement under international pressure. Smotrich is no longer waiting.

The E1 Corridor: The Death of a Fiction

The strategic purpose of Khan al-Ahmar's destruction is not subtle. The village sits in the E1 corridor, the 12-square-kilometer strip of land between Jerusalem and the settlement of Ma'ale Adumim. The E1 settlement project — long opposed by the international community, including Israel's own allies — is designed to create a continuous block of Israeli settlements that would cut the West Bank in two, severing the northern Palestinian territories from the south and eliminating any possibility of a contiguous Palestinian state.

Israeli bulldozer operating near Khan al-Ahmar Bedouin village in the occupied West Bank

Israeli bulldozer operating near Khan al-Ahmar Bedouin village in the occupied West Bank

Israel has already connected Ma'ale Adumim and the Jordan Valley through settlement expansion. Khan al-Ahmar is the last Palestinian community standing in the way of completing the E1 bloc. Remove it, and the territorial chain is closed.

"The demolition would contribute to the expansion of settlements in the colonial area known as E1, leading to the geographical fragmentation of the West Bank and undermining the possibility of establishing a contiguous Palestinian state," the Palestinian human rights organization Al-Haq warned.

Palestinian official Wasel Abu Youssef called the evacuation order "very dangerous" and demanded a firm international response to stop what he described as further crimes.

Hamas called it what it is: "systematic ethnic cleansing."

Forced Relocation to a Garbage Dump

Israel's plan for the displaced residents of Khan al-Ahmar reveals the contempt baked into the operation. The community has been offered relocation to two sites: one near a former Jerusalem garbage dump, the other adjacent to a sewage plant near Jericho.

Neither is compatible with Bedouin life. Neither is remotely adequate. Both are designed to make refusal inevitable — and when residents refuse, Israel uses that refusal as justification for forced eviction.

Rights group Bimkom, which has tracked the case for years, argues the relocation plans would forcibly move residents from rural areas into dense urban settings incompatible with their traditional way of life. The offer is not a solution. It is a humiliation dressed up as compassion.

A Pattern, Not an Anomaly

Khan al-Ahmar is not an isolated case. Since the Oslo II Agreement in 1995, Israel has used the classification of Area C — under full Israeli military and administrative control — to intensify demolitions of Palestinian Bedouin communities and forcibly displace their residents. Entire communities in the Jordan Valley, the South Hebron Hills, and the outskirts of Jerusalem have been erased.

Since October 2023, that pace has accelerated dramatically. Settler violence — often carried out with military protection or acquiescence — has driven Palestinian families from their homes across the West Bank. Outposts that were once illegal under Israeli law have been retroactively legalized. Smotrich himself has boasted of blocking past ceasefire efforts in Gaza and called for the permanent conquest and re-settlement of the territory.

Palestinian man walking with flag through Khan al-Ahmar Bedouin village in the occupied West Bank

Palestinian man walking with flag through Khan al-Ahmar Bedouin village in the occupied West Bank

Britain and four other Western states have already imposed sanctions on Smotrich and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, accusing them of repeatedly inciting violence against Palestinians. The sanctions have not slowed the demolitions. The ICC warrant, if confirmed, would add legal weight — but it was the warrant itself that triggered the latest escalation.

The Two-State Solution Is Already Dead

The international community has spent decades insisting that a two-state solution remains viable — that the West Bank could one day become a contiguous, independent Palestinian state alongside Israel. Khan al-Ahmar's destruction would make that claim unsustainable even as rhetoric.

Israel is not quietly preparing to erase the village. Smotrich announced it on television. He framed it as retaliation for international legal accountability. He called the ICC's investigation — triggered by Palestine's accession to the Rome Statute in 2015 — an act of war by the Palestinian Authority.

The message is deliberate: international law applies to everyone except Israel, and any attempt to enforce it will be met with further crimes committed against Palestinian civilians in real time.

The ICC's November 2024 arrest warrants for Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant — along with Hamas leader Ibrahim Al-Masri — were a watershed moment. The Trump administration responded by sanctioning 11 ICC judges and prosecutors. Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and five other European states sanctioned Smotrich and Ben-Gvir individually.

None of it stopped the demolition orders. None of it stopped Smotrich from signing the evacuation decree the same day he learned of the warrant. None of it stopped Israeli bulldozers from preparing the ground.

"We're All Afraid"

For the roughly 200 residents of Khan al-Ahmar, the geopolitics are secondary. They are watching the bulldozers gather and waiting.

"We're all afraid," one resident told The New Arab. "We don't know when the bulldozers will come."

The village has filed a legal objection to the evacuation order. The Israeli court system, which has upheld demolition orders since 2018, is not expected to intervene. International condemnation — from the EU, the UN, individual European governments — has become a ritual with no teeth.

Khan al-Ahmar has become a symbol of Palestinian resilience in the face of displacement. It has also become a test case: if a community this visible, this documented, this internationally recognized can be erased in broad daylight, then no Palestinian community in the West Bank is safe.

And that is precisely the point.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Khan al-Ahmar?
Khan al-Ahmar is a Palestinian Bedouin village of roughly 200 people in the occupied West Bank, located east of Jerusalem in the E1 corridor. It includes a school built from recycled rubber tires that serves 170 children from five surrounding Bedouin communities. Israel has sought to demolish it since 2018.
Why is Khan al-Ahmar strategically important?
The village sits in the E1 corridor, the land connecting Ma'ale Adumim settlement to the Jordan Valley. Israel's E1 settlement project would create a continuous block of settlements cutting the West Bank in two, severing the northern Palestinian territories from the south and eliminating any possibility of a contiguous Palestinian state.
What triggered the demolition order?
Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich announced on May 19, 2026, that the ICC prosecutor had sought a confidential arrest warrant against him over settlement expansion. He responded by ordering the immediate evacuation of Khan al-Ahmar, signing the decree within minutes of his press conference.
Is the demolition a war crime?
Amnesty International has called the planned demolition a war crime, noting the school serving 170 children is included in the order. Multiple human rights organizations and the UN have stated that forced displacement of protected persons in occupied territory violates international humanitarian law.
What is the ICC's role?
The ICC prosecutor reportedly submitted a sealed request for an arrest warrant against Smotrich over settlement expansion. The ICC previously issued warrants for Netanyahu and Gallant in November 2024. Israel is not an ICC member, but Palestinian territories were admitted in 2015, giving the court jurisdiction.
Advertisement
Loading advertisement...
Join the Discussion

Comments require functional cookies to load. Update your cookie preferences to participate in the discussion.

Update Cookie Preferences